Wednesday, March 20, 2013

6/13 Move to Tucson, AZ


Arizona and I agreed NYC was not an appropriate place to raise a child, so we packed up and headed to Arizona’s birthplace; Tucson, Arizona.  

It seemed like a good idea. I rented us a huge house and found a job immediately at a boutique hotel, working at the front desk.

Arizona had a few friends; they immediately became friends of mine. Actually, their parents and I ended up becoming closer than their children. Our closest friends, Jim and Olivia lived down the street. They would later become Nikko’s Godparents.

Arizona’s Dad moved to Tucson to be closer to us. He rented our guesthouse, it was nice to have the company.

We were super excited for our son to arrive. I tried to do everything I could to make Arizona happy, but I was feeling isolated. Working all the time... I mean, working in a hotel sucked!

On April 14, 2009 when Nikko arrived it was the happiest day of my life. He was born in the water and I was the first to hold him. My life changed forever! He was so tiny; it’s hard to describe the feeling. I have plenty of friends with children, but you don’t know that feeling until you become a parent yourself.

It’s as of nothing else mattered… I just wanted him happy and healthy, but I was growing lonely in Tucson. The hikes were great, but I didn’t have “real” friends of my own. Plus, it was fucking hot!

I missed NY; I missed the chaotic, fun, and energetic lifestyle in the city… the lifestyle Tucson could never offer us.

This bit is getting boring, but now we were parents, doing our best, but I was so over our relationship. I’d work all day, go home and Arizona would be out with friends. She had a birthday once and didn’t even think to include me. I began spending less and less time at home after work… choosing to go to a late night yoga class or out for drinks with co-workers.

Finally, I got to the point where I couldn’t take it anymore, I was so sick of living in such a small town. I told Arizona I was quitting my job and leaving to NY and she had to come with me. So I did, I quit my job, rented a moving truck, and drove to NYC. Arizona and Nikko would fly out to meet me a week later.


No comments:

Post a Comment